Sunday, December 22, 2013

New traditions

What do you remember from your childood? Holidays make me nostalgic. Some of the traditions that I remember? There were 5 of us kids and my mother made a different kind of cookie with each one of us. She made "snowballs" with me.  My mother's family came to our house on Christmas Eve.  My Aunt D made buckeye candies,  my Aunt G made cheese ball and brought it in this beautiful bell shaped piece.  My mother ordered super long Subway sandwiches.  We would stand around her playing the organ and sing Christmas Carols.  Then we all went to the midnight candlelight service at church.  I moved 500 miles away 19 months ago.  And I miss Christmas Eve at my mother's house.  Do you have any traditions like that, which you remember fondly?  Memories of things done.  Not gifts given or received, but memories shared.  What will you do with your family this year?  Will you make Christmas about presents or about family, traditions, worshiping God? 
I have heard some great ideas over the years.  We do cornish hens and eat by candle light on Christmas Eve. Many people enjoy fondue on Christmas Eve.  This is the first year that we bought needed items for a boy in our neighborhood, shoes, PJs, a toothbrush, and my son choose 3 books of his own to give to him.  Some go caroling in their neighborhood, pass out cookies, jump in the car with hot cocoa and see the lights.  Make it special, not with gifts under the tree, those will be broken and gone in 20 years.  But your children will still be able to keep the memories of the special times spent together. Those can never be taken from them, and they do not spoil or fade.  How will you spend Christmas this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment