Thursday, January 23, 2014

Is it meaningful?

I am reading Joshua Becker's book that is being released in 10 days.  And had a bit of an  Aha! moment.  By the way, this book is so good especially for those at the start of their journey.  There is something in there for everyone.  And it will be "discounted"  the first week, but he didn't say what discounted meant.
Some have said keep what is used and loved.  Some have said keep what is used and beautiful.  JB says keep what is necessary and meaningful.  He gives an example of a home he visited.  It had a bookshelf.  On that shelf sat 36 books, 11 figurines, 24 photos, 2 souvenir coffee mugs, various snow globes, flower arrangements, vases and candles.  He stood there looking at the shelf wondering what brings meaning into this person's life.  reading? coffee? the people in the photos?  snow?  ok at that one I laughed.  (no harm meant if you like snow globes.)  But after reading this, I started walking around our home.  And asking myself, if a stranger came into our home, would they know what is important to us by what they see?
Well, yes and no.
Yes... We have a picture of a church in our living room.  I have my "faith cards" hanging on a stand on my desk.  Our wedding album on a stand in our bedroom.  Some framed hymns in various places.
No... There is a pic over our bed with yellow flowers sitting in a window with blue frame shutters.  true, it matches the yellow lamps and blue duvet.  But thanks, Joshua.  Now I don't like the picture because it is pretty meaningless.  I stood there thinking, what would be a good picture for there?  Probably a blown up picture of the lake we vacation at on a canvas.  Next vacation, I am taking a pic and blowing it up for over our bed.
No... The picture in my dining room of a basket of flowers.  Thanks, Joshua.  now I don't like it either.  What should I put there?  Well, DH and I love to go wine tasting together.  So, maybe a picture of some wine bottles?  Or a photo  blown up of our favorite winery.
I challenge you to walk around your home.  If someone didn't know you, what would your stuff say to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment