Monday, November 4, 2013

Corn Kernels

Being from Indiana, corn is a great picture of what I have been doing wrong over the last 2 years.  I wanted less stuff.  So I was getting rid of stuff in a  steady manner- which was good.  But I was still keeping too much.  I keep having to redo things because I am not getting rid of enough the first time.  My best example:  spiral notebooks.  I have too many, I have had too many since I started.  In the past I would see that I had too many, then I would get rid of 2 or 3, feel better and go on to the next thing. Then wondered why I still have too much.  When I did my closet in the beginning, I pulled out all of my clothes and only kept what I felt  like I "should have".  And it worked.  I have never had to do clothes again.  I am approaching my whole home this way, on this time around.  How many spiral notebooks do we need?  Maybe 4. One for each family member.  Instead of getting rid of 2 or 3 this time, I got rid of all but 4.  Which means I got rid of 13, which kind of hurts more than getting rid of 2 or 3. 
It does feel like a waste of money.  This is on of the hardest parts of getting rid of the too much stuff I have.  I have to acknowledge that I or someone I love spent money on this stuff and now I don't want it.  But it is kind of like being on a diet.  You have food about to expire.  Do you eat way too much of it and get fat?  Or throw it in the trash and maintain your figure?  Either way you aren't getting your actual money back.  And eating it is not good for your health.  Stuff is the same way.  Unless it is in near new condition, we aren't likely to get our money back.  It is gone.  And hanging onto the stuff just clutters my space and mind.
Back to those notebooks.  At the end of every school year, my son brings home partially finished notebooks, and because of this I know I won't be purchasing any spiral notebooks any time soon.  And hanging onto them doesn't get my money back.  I feel like I had been trying to get rid of a bucket of corn kernels, one kernel at a time.  Time to get out the shovel!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you started a blog!!! As long as it doesn't clutter your life :) You've truly inspired me (and still do), so hopefully this will inspire others as well.

    ReplyDelete