Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Covering My Eyes

I am covering my eyes for the next ten days.  Everywhere I turn I see black Friday advertisements.  I see them on Facebook, message boards, email, my mailbox, everywhere.  They show pictures of joyful and exuberant children playing with toys at ridiculously low prices. 

One month ago I sat down with a pencil and paper to write out my children's Christmas lists.  I intentionally thought about their interests, their stages in development, their favorite ways to entertain themselves.  Based on these observations, I wrote out a careful list of what would be purchased.  If they don't enjoy the gift, it will get donated and I will have lost that money.  So it is a very big decision for our family.

Then I see the advertisement of the exuberant child.  He is playing with a top rated remote control car.  The car is usually 30 dollars.  On Black Friday it will be 10 dollars.  He looks so joyful.  And I could save 20 dollars.  Right?  Wrong.  I didn't have a remote control car on my list.  Would my boys enjoy it?  Probably for a week or two.  But it isn't the kind of thing that fits into the stage of development they are experiencing right now.  And neither of them has ever mentioned or displayed an interest in cars.  So will I save 20 dollars?  No.  I will spend 10 dollars.  And probably donate that item in February.

Some of you have told me that you are taking your exact lists out and will only purchase those items that may be discounted.  Why won't I do that?  I think black Friday represents something for me.  Have you ever seen a photo or video of the doors being unlocked and people rushing in, trampling the people in front of them?  What are those people so excited to get to?  Stuff.  Material things. 

I don't believe that is who God created us to be.  We were created to be in relationship with one another and Him.  Where will the stuff purchased that day be in 20 years?  It will probably be broken, used, forgotten, discarded.  I am looking to this black Friday to remind me once again that my treasure is in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy and thieves do not break in and steal.

No comments:

Post a Comment