Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Journey to Less Begins

My journey to less began in October 2011.  My husband, Matt, received a promotion which meant our family would be transferring from the corn fields of Indiana to the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia. We would be leaving our home of seven years and moving over 500 miles away... our home of 1850 square feet, cathedral ceilings, 2 car garage and walk-in closet.  We were given six months to prepare ourselves.
Matt traveled to Atlanta to look for a place for us to live.  Since our house was not sold yet, he looked for apartments for us to live in while our house was on the market.  As he explored these apartments, I had a question... how many kitchen cabinets did these apartments offer?  He responded that most of them had 12... my house had 24 kitchen cabinets.  So I opened the doors to my kitchen cabinets and began packing boxes and bags to donate.  When I started out I had four sets of 8-12 place settings.  I don't really need 3 styles of plastic cups and 4 styles of glasses.  I chose my favorites and donated the rest.
I felt something odd as I donated my dishes.  I felt... lighter.  And the less I had, the easier it became to clean.  When I unloaded the dishwasher, I didn't have to hold up a bunch of dishes to return the right size one to its proper place in the stack.  In fact, now all of my dishes fit in the cabinets over the dishwasher.  I didn't have to run back and forth as much.  It felt great... it felt simple.  Now to deal with the walk-in closet and two car garage...

No comments:

Post a Comment