Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Embrace the Difference

I was in my closet yesterday and there were all of my purses hanging up.  I don't carry a purse.  I carry a backpack from Target, the one in the picture.  So, why do I have 5 purses?  I have 5 purses because I think that is what women are supposed to have.  Isn't your purse supposed to match your belt and shoes?  So if you are wearing brown shoes, you wear a brown belt and carry a brown purse.  If you are wearing black shoes, you wear a black belt and carry a black purse.  And if you are going out in the evening, you carry a small purse.  If you go out during the day, you carry a large purse... or so I am told. 
Do you ever hold onto things because you think you are expected to?  Your family is full of bakers, so you have the muffin pan, the mini muffin pan, the 7,8 and 9 inch cake pans, the fluted pan, the pie pan and the cookie sheets in all three sizes.  But in reality, you buy your baked goods from the bakery at the store.  Or maybe all of your friends have trendy jewelry.  So you have a tool box size jewelry box even though you only wear your wedding ring.  Or maybe all of your friends are stay at home moms that craft with their kids all day, so you have a closet full of foam stickers, glitter, sequins, 3 kinds of glue and 4 types of paper.  But when you spend time with your kids, you go into the backyard and play catch.  Why are we holding onto these other things?  Expectations.
Well, I am never going to be the kind of girl that coordinates her shoes with her belt and purse.  I love my mini backpack.  It keeps my hands free while I chase my 2 year old at the park or store.  It can hold his extra outfit and my day planner without feeling heavy or bulky.  It can stand up to snacks that spill or drip.  And I never forget it anywhere, because it stays on my back. 
Today I am embracing my difference.  I am donating my small and large brown purses. I am donating my large black purse.  OK I will keep a small black purse for formals or funerals.  But people will have to accept that when I wear black shoes they aren't getting a black purse.  The truth is, I will have to let go of that image. I doubt if most people notice if my black shoes match my black bag... oh wait, my shoes are turquois Addidas...

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I was shoe shopping with a friend last week. I told her I needed new black flats (to replace the beat up ones I currently wear), and something brown. I love the look of riding boots, but only in brown. However, most of what I wear to work is black, with the exception of a few brown sweaters. She said I can wear brown shoes with a black sweater. Can I really? Isn't that a big fashion no no? Hmmm. In the end, I wound up with one pair instead of 2. They are pewter, not silver, and not gold, but should work well with black or brown. Funny how we get so caught up in the rules of fashion. Who makes the rules anyway?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie- Genius! You found something that could go with black or brown. I am all for less. I don't know who makes the fashion rules, but they haven't met me!

      Delete