Sunday, November 3, 2013

Tossing 20

People are always asking me the hows of less.  How do you decide what to get rid of?  How do you know where to start? 
I started by tossing 20.  That is 20 items/ week.  52 weeks/ year.  With. out. fail. for. 2. years. Donate/ trash/ recycle 20 items.  I don't think there is anything special about the number 20.  For some people the number may be a little higher.  For some people the number may be a little lower.  But I believe having a number to be accountable to has been the reason I have been so successful in maintaining the lifestyle of less.  Some weeks that was 4 items/ day Mon- Fri. And some weeks that meant 20 items on the last day of the week.  But always 20 less than the week before. 
How do I ask myself if an item is worth keeping or getting rid of?  An old friend once told me this, "Don't ask yourself, 'CAN I ever use this again?' Rather ask yourself, 'Will I ever NEED this again, and if so, how much will it COST to replace?'" If the answer is under 5 bucks, it is a good bet you can let it go. I laughed when someone once told me she regretted purging her measuring spoons.  Measuring spoons can be replaced for a dollar.  If that is the biggest mistake you have ever made, you have done well!  I have been living with less for two years now.  I haven't regretted anything I have donated/ thrown out or recycled.  Not only have I not regretted it, I have found more space in my life for family and friends.  I am spending less time organizing it, folding it, cleaning it, picking it up, putting it away.  "It" simply isn't here anymore and I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment