Monday, November 18, 2013

Living with Less vs. Minimalist


minimal- adj. 1. pertaining to or being a minimum.  2. least possible.  3. smallest; very small.

Minimalism is becoming a popular phrase in some circles.  I find many of the people who say they desire minimalism have no idea what this word means.  In a culture that is obsessed with keeping up with their neighbors, most homes now have multiple TVs, closets stuffed with clothes and shoes, garages and basements filled to capacity.  We are a country marked by excess.  The idea of getting rid of some of the clutter is appealing to a large audience.

I started my journey to "less" two years ago.  I thought I wanted to be a minimalist.  In reality, I didn't know the definition of the word minimalist.  I just knew I had way too much and I was starting to feel smothered.  While it is good to live with less, that doesn't make you a minimalist.  The definition of minimal is "least possible".  What is your least possible for clothes?  I suppose least POSSIBLE would be one outfit.  There are some who have gotten down to one outfit.  Google will lead you to dozens who have blogged about their experience of wearing the same outfit for a year.  That would be an example of an absolute minimalist.  What if you want to be a minimalist but not an absolute minimalist?  (This is what my husband is constantly reminding me as I donate all of our stuff.  I want to be a minimalist but not an absolute minimalist.)  Perhaps an outfit each day for a week would be appropriate?  Keeping in mind that most locations have a cold and hot season, maybe 14 shirts and 14 pants?  I am not prepared to be that restricted with my wardrobe.  Two years ago when I started my journey I owned around 200 pieces of clothing.  Not counting underclothing, I have gotten down to 86.  I am content with this number.  If I were to have a crisis, I could go a week without doing laundry and not be wearing dirty clothes.

I don't want the least amount possible  I want the least amount that is right for my family.  Getting rid of the excess saves time, money and improves relationships.  However having the least amount possible, one dish per family member, would cause me more work.  Then I would have to wash dishes after every meal.  Currently I run the dishwasher once/ day right before bed.  When I wake up my dishes are clean.  And while donating half of my kids toys means that I only have to help them clean up half as many, if I donate any more, they are going to be bored and telling me there is nothing to do.  It is good for them to have various ways to be creative and entertain themselves since we do not have any TV channels. 

I have friends who get a look of fear when I use the term minimalist.  I think they are the ones who understand the definition of this word.  I love my life of less.  But I do not want the least amount possible.  I am nearing the end of a two year journey.  I have donated about half of our stuff.  As I approach the end of this journey it is becoming increasingly difficult to decide whether to keep or donate certain items.  The tool I have decided I will use in helping make the determination: Will donating this item make my life simpler or more complicated?  Because the point of this whole journey has been to simplify life.

No comments:

Post a Comment